Share this...

Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Fun Facts: Coffee and Cafes with Susanne Bellamy

There is one thing my husband has learned in 30 years of marriage...DO NOT under any circumstances attempt to converse or interact with me in any way until I have had my breakfast. I was reflecting on this as we trailed across town to get to the market early this morning... before breakfast. Apart from the glorious light over the bay, the one thing that put a lift in my step was the thought of a Victoria Market coffee (and almond croissant).

My guest today is not a Melbourne girl but she has chosen to set her latest story in my home town making good use of the "coffee culture" for which we are well known. If you want good coffee... forget Paris and Italy - come to Melbourne.

OVER TO SUSANNE.... 

Coffee and Café Culture and Giveaway*

Ah, the places our research takes us.

My newly released Engaging the Enemy absolutely demanded I check out coffee shops in Melbourne’s CBD. Andrea de Villiers runs a shelter in the CBD so when she and Matt Mahoney step out for coffee and a chat, they have an abundance of great choices.

My research opened up a fascinating world of caffeine-lovers (cakes, optional) as I checked cafés where Matt and Andie could have deep-and-meaningfuls. Places where shouted conversations are the norm didn’t work for the story and did I really want them to be distracted by the foodie displays of the Hopetoun Tea Rooms or Acland Street?

Flipboard Cafe
By combining two cafés, Patricia and Flipboard, you get the idea of what I had in mind for their ‘local’. I love the three-metre wide cubby-house style of Flipboard. After all, you don’t need much room to sit and enjoy a coffee. Or to propose!

Here’s their first visit to a nearby café:
 “I don’t want it.” She folded her arms tightly across her chest and sat back in the club chair. The clatter of china and hiss of the espresso machine echoed her annoyance.


Mahoney’s smile didn’t quite reach his eyes as he picked up the discarded ring box.

“Don’t you like it? I thought the emerald complimented your eyes rather well. Of course, if you prefer a big, sparkly diamond…”

“I won’t wear your ring. Any ring.”

“Don’t women love jewellery? I thought that was a universal given. Jewellery plus proposal equals happy.”

ENGAGING THE ENEMY


One building, two would-be owners and a family feud that spans several generations: all relationships have their problems.

 Andrea de Villiers can’t lie to save herself. But when developer, Matt Mahoney, buys the building she and a friend have established as a safe house in the Melbourne CBD, she decides that protecting The Shelter is more important than her aching heart. She will confront Mr Mahoney, and she will emerge victorious. There are no other options.
 But Matt has other plans for Andie, and she soon finds herself ensnared in a web of well-meaning lies and benevolent deceit. To protect the building and the families that depend on her, Andie agrees to play the part of Matt’s fiancée, and play it convincingly.
 But lies soon bleed into truth, and what was once a deception starts to feel all too real. Can Andie accomplish her goals and protect The Shelter, without losing her heart to the charming Irish developer? 

**Giveaway: One Kindle copy of Engaging the Enemy to a lucky commenter.

What is your favourite coffee haunt???


ABOUT SUSANNE BELLAMY

My heroes have to be pretty special to live up to the real life one I married. He saved my life then married me. We live on the edge of bush land on a mountain in beautiful sunny Queensland, Australia with our two children and our dog. I write contemporary romance and historical suspense novels set in exciting and often exotic locations.

Paris will always be one of my top spots, and I fell in love with Scotland when we visited the west coast (nothing to do with fine single malts!), and recently had my first real trip to Italy--tick off one of my Bucket List items!  I’ve enjoyed New Year in Kathmandu and trekked in the Annapurnas, sailed in Ha Long Bay on a junk, and stayed on a floating hotel beside a tethered elephant in Thailand. I love the Peak in Hong Kong and the cable car ride in Singapore. I also love travelling to new places and exploring the culture and history, and meeting new people. These experiences are gradually being incorporated into my stories, along with my love of music and musicals.

Susanne's Books: White Ginger,  One Night in Sorrento, Engaging the Enemy (Escape Publishing)
Coming 28 November 2014 – A Season to Remember (FREE Christmas anthology)
Coming 2015 – Emerald Quest: Winning the Heiress’s Heart (Entangled Publishing)

Check out my story boards on Pinterest or visit me on my  website, Facebook or Twitter.

BUY LINKS for ENGAGING THE ENEMY are on the Escape Publishing Website